|The Research Reference Group|
Dr Louise Stone (MBBS BA MPH MQHR PhD FRACGP FACRRM) is a GP, medical educator and qualitative health researcher with a clinical, teaching and research interest in mental health. Louise is currently a GP in Canberra, the GP research co-ordinator at the Academic Unit of General Practice, Australian National University, and a Medical Advisor for GP training at the Department of Health, Commonwealth of Australia. Her recent PhD, with the Centre of Values, Ethics and the Law in Medicine at the University of Sydney, explored the way novice and experienced GPs assess and manage patients with medically unexplained symptoms.
Louise’s research interest in sexual abuse in the medical profession commenced in clinical practice: she began caring for two doctors who had been sexually assaulted by other doctors in the workplace. In trying to understand how best to care for these traumatised women, she searched for relevant literature, and found little available. Discussions with senior colleagues, however, suggested that this sort of trauma was not uncommon.
This research program was developed to address the clinical, organisational and ethical need for a nuanced understanding of sexual abuse, as it occurs between doctors in the medical workplace. Louise believes that both qualitative and quantitative data are required to explore this complex area, hence the combination of narrative methodology, prevalence studies and realist synthesis. It is hoped that this research program will provide the layered understanding we need to help heal our colleagues and our profession as a whole.
Stone L, Douglas K, Mitchell I and Raphael B 2015 Sexual abuse of doctors, by doctors: professionalism, complexity and the potential for healing. Medical Journal of Australia 203 (4): 170-171
CV and other selected publications:
Professor Kirsty Douglas (MBBS, DipRACOG, MD, FRACGP)
Professor of General Practice, ANU Medical School, ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment…
Associate Professor Christine Phillips (MBBS BMedSc MA MPH DipEd FRACGP) Associate Professor, Social Foundations of Medicine, ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment…
The Reference Group
- Dr Bryan Ashman (ANU Medical School, Australian National University)
- Dr Sara Bird (MDA National)
- Professor Deborah Blackman (UNSW, Canberra)
- Ms Megan Cahill (Rural Workforce Agency Victoria)
- Professor David Clarke (Monash University)
- Professor Marilys Guillemin (University of Melbourne)
- Professor Geoff McColl (University of Melbourne)
- Professor Imogen Mitchell (ANU Medical School, Australian National University)
- Dr Julie Mooney-Somers (Centre for Values, Ethics and the Law in Medicine, University of Sydney)
- Professor Beverley Raphael (ANU Medical School, Australian National University).